About CBOA

The Connecticut Building Officials Association can be traced back to the mid 1940's. The first president on record was Bernard McKelvey, who served from 1944-1946. His immediate successors were William Ennis, who served from 1946-1947, and Henry Falsy, 1947-1949.

In 1945, the Connecticut Legislature authorized the preparation of a state building code, which could be adopted voluntarily by any town, city, or borough. The first edition, which was based on the BOCA national model code, was published in 1947 and amended several times in the 50's and 60's. Nearly half of the towns adopted this state code but in many cases local amendments reduced the potential benefits of uniformity.

A coalition of building officials, design professionals, and other members of the industry prevailed upon the 1969 General Assembly to pass the landmark Public Act 69-443, which not only provided for a uniform state building code but made it mandatory for all Connecticut municipalities. With this single legislative stroke, effective September 1, 1971, Connecticut became the first state in the nation to have a uniform, statewide building code and a complete, well balanced code administrative system.

Today the organization has over 275 members, as well as 25 retired "life" members

AttachmentSize
CBOA Contacts.docx19.18 KB